A sewing course for beginners. Learn the basics from how to use a sewing machine to the application of different hems by making a variety of projects each week.
Skills that we cover will be:
- learning how and when to use all the basic sewing machine stitches
- to get total control of the sewing machine
- how to apply a regular zip in 3 different ways and adjusting its length
- mastering a variety of seams
- learn how to sew corners, curves and darts
- experimenting with colours and pattern and fabric properties
- an introduction into patchwork and quilting
- application of wide variety of hems
Projects and time table:
Hands on introduction to the sewing machine and a variety of stitches and
Zippered pouch with loop.
Make-up bag with zip and lining.
Week 4 and 5:
Lined zippered pencil case with a patchwork and quilting detail.
Hems: single, double, herringbone and invisible hem to put in practice on your own garment.
Week 7 and 8:
Making a trivet.
Week 9 and 10:
Making a bigger project to incorporate all the skills and techniques gained so far.
Tutor: Martha Van Der Laan
Date & Time: Tuesdays, 1:30pm - 4:30pm
Venue: Craft Studio, New Brewery Arts
PRICE: £225.00 (£0.00 VAT)
All abilities welcome
What you will need:
The tutor will advise you in the first session what to bring.
First Class: Tuesday 23rd April
No Class: Tuesday 28th May
Last Class: Tuesday 2nd July